1. WHERE IS BUNAKEN NATIONAL PARK SITUATED ?
Bunaken National Park is located in the province of North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Geographically, the park consists of a northern and southern section includes five islands, and the coastal area between molas to Tiwoho called " Molas Wori Coast ". The southern section consists entirely of coastal area between Poopoh and Popareng villages, called the " Arakan-Wawontulap Coast ". The Park is is located close to Manado, the capital city of North Sulawesi, travelling time between Manado and Bunaken island is about 40 minutes by boat.
2. HOW BIG IS BUNAKEN NATIONAL PARK ?
The total area of the Park is 79,056 hectares of land and marine area. The northern section consists of 62,150 Ha and the southern section consists of 16,906 Ha.
3. WHAT IS THE SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURE IN BUNAKEN NATIONAL PARK ?
The sea surface temperature ranges from 27 to 29 degrees Celsius throughout the year in the Park. However, sea surface temperatures over reef flats can exceed 30 degrees Celsius at low tide.
4. WHAT IS THE SALINITY OF THE SEAWATER ?
The salinity of seawater is 34 to 35 parts of the salt to 1,000 parts of water ( 34-35ppt ). The influence of fresh water from mainland rivers mixing with seawater in the Park is small.
5. HOW BIG DO THE WAVES GET ?
The waves in Bunaken Natinal Park rarely exceed 1 meter in height and are short-capped. However, during Westerly winds storms ( Nov - Feb ) large waves may occur, which maybe dangerous for small boat to travel on at times.
6. what is the clarity of the water ?
Depending on environmental factors, the visibility of water ranges from 10-30 m vertically, and can extend out to 30 m horizontally.
7. what is the tidal range?
The average tidal range between high and low tide in Bunaken National Park is 2.6 meters. There are two high tides and two low tides a day ( semi - diurnal )
8. are there any large rivers draining into bunaken national park ?
There are no big rivers within the park; however, the outflowof water from Tondano river and Malalayang River may carry some sediment trash into the boundries of the Park.
9. how wide are the reef flats in bunaken national park ?
Some parts of Manado Tua and Siladen have narrow reef flats of less than 100m but the reef flats in Arakan - Wowontulap can be over 2.5 km wide !
10. how deep are the waters surrounding bunaken national park ?
The reef slopes around the land masses of the Park range in the depth from 50 meters to over 200 meters. The deepest water ( 1,360 meters depth ) is found between Manado Tua and Mantehage. The Park has unique bathymetry, which is an attraction for divers; the absence of a continental shelf in the northern part of North Sulawesi allows the coastal area of the Park to drop directly down the continental slope.
11. How much coral reef is contained within bunaken national park ?
There are over 8,000 hectares ( 80 square km ) of coral reef in Bunaken National Park.
12. How many different kinds of coral are found in bunaken national park ?
There are at least 58 different genera and sub-genera of coral in the park.
13. how many different species of fish are found in bunaken natinal park ?
An estimate 2,000 species of fish are found in the park.
14. what kind of rare of endangered animals are there in bunaken national park ?
Coelacanths, dugongs, whales, dolphins, turtles, and still more..
15. HOW many people live in bunaken national park ?
A total of over 21,600 people live within the boundries of the park.
Source from :
BALAI TAMAN NASIONAL BUNAKEN